Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Army Strong

A sister in our ward has a son leaving soon. He's enlisted into the Army and this is really amazing that he's willing to serve our country. So with the date coming soon I really wanted to show my support to not only her but her family.

Plus I visit teach this sister so I was double inspired to make her something. But I had no idea what. I looked all over the internet and I even looked on Pinterest and still couldn't find something that would suit. So while at the temple last week this image came to me. To make something like this...
But alittle different. Mike knew what I was doing so he helped me with it so it was a mutual labor of love. 

Star from Joann's. Original cost $14.99. Sale and then coupon total cost $4.80. Yellow paint $3.87. It took almost the entire can since it wasn't sticking right. Black and yellow scrapbook paper for the backing. So total was around $9.
And for the tag we picked, prayed, and was confirmed to us that this was the scripture to use....


"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."- John 14:27

And Mike suggested we add something patriotic to this picture. After praying about it we agreed to add the pledge of allegiance. Simple but still very strong and important.

We dropped off the gift while she was sleeping so I'm not sure if she liked it. But Mike and I feel pretty good about this homemade gift. As we walked back home I told Mike that the image I seen looked actually like what we made so I know that this was something that Heavenly Father wanted us to make. So just with this small fact I was comforted without even knowing how this sister reacted to the gift.

1 comment:

Max and Diana Brown said...

that is so sweet! great job!!!