Monday, December 10, 2012

Benefit from Coupons

I've been couponing for over a year now. And over this year I've heard from family, friends, and strangers behind me in check out line both the pro's and con's. People either like this and want to learn too. Or they feel uncomfortable about it and dislike it about me. 
It doesn't matter much to me or my family. It's what suits us. But I would like to take a moment and share something with everyone that might de-bunk one of those coupon myths.

Shocker Alert:
 I do buy things that I don't need. (Take a moment to breathe) :-)

 I'm not a hoarder. I am sane 5 out of 7 days. I know I will never need 100 boxes of toothpaste. However even though I might not need these items I know someone else does need them. 
And when I find a killer deal on items that are free or only costing me pennies I put them aside for moments like this. 

Our family strives to serve those around us. I'm not going to go into full detail on everything we do since we want to store up our treasures in Heaven and not here on Earth. But I want to share this one with everyone.
This year I picked out a solider from AnySolider.com. This website has volunteer soldiers contact this website with a list of wants and needs for their units. People like me are able to click through the names and selected the person they want to help. Everyone has a different list of needs and wants. Some need snacks. Hats. Gloves. Hygiene items. Magazines (looking at desert sand can get boring (-:  ) And some soldiers need just letters for moral support.

While reading through the names my heart was breaking for these men and women. The soldier I picked is miles and miles away in the middle of nowhere and has limited supplies at their PX. This female solider and her unit of 10 women had a list of simple but necessary items that any woman needs. Shampoos, styling gel, candy :-) , toothpaste, chapsticks, and feminine care items.
So I grabbed a huge box, loaded everything up from my stockpile, and even throw in a Christmas card the family signed. The thing with AnySolider.com is that you have to send your package out the same day you request the soldiers address since they might get transferred out. This way they know a package is coming and they can look out for it. Anyways the shipping for this box was $16! But everything inside was completely FREE! Well worth it in my (pocket)book.
So when someone asks me, "Do I buy stuff I don't need?"  I answer-  "Yes! Yes I do!"  :)

PS The reason why I chose this website is because I visit teach a proud Army mom. And the service men really do sacrifice alot for this country. Alot more than I'll ever see so if I can somehow help out then I'm gonna do it. :)

No comments: