Saturday, April 16, 2011

Easter Egg Party

 Living half my life in Chicago I never experienced this sense of a real community. Of knowing my neighbors or having neighborhood parties. Everyone kept to themselves. But since we've lived here I have finally felt what a real community feels like. And today was a real example of how a everyone came together. Thanks to one person's great idea and the word of mouth from facebook today was the neighborhood Easter Egg Party.

Everyone made candy filled Easter Eggs and brought them to the hosting family's house. But they did the hard job of hiding the eggs. I always get tired of hiding eggs and just throw them from my front door. Lily and Cati were in the 3 and under group which was nice to not have to worry about the bigger kids running over them.

Each kid was ready to run and when the word "Go" was yelled everyone started to run....except Lily. She cried! She wasn't really sure what was going on except that there was so many kids running which freaked her out. I love the toddler stage!

But after calming her down and showing her the eggs in the grass she was feeling egg-cellent! Cati enjoyed putting eggs in her basket. She was a natural.

 Lily showing off her findings. Every kid was allotted 13 eggs. Our baskets only held 10 but that's OK with us.

 Cati running back to the picnic tables to get our of the rain.
The best part was when Lily and Ducati realized that there was candy in each egg. Lily gave me this look and yelled  "What!!!!" and immediately started tearing open her eggs.
I helped Cati open her candy. Here she is with her mouth stuffed with 2 snickers minis. She's so funny when it comes to candy.
But once all the kids were back to the picnic tables we enjoyed a breakfast potluck. Everyone contributed alittle something which was very nice. It was delicious!
Moments like this is why I love living in this community.

No comments: