Friday, May 20, 2011

K12-5K

This morning we attended the 1st Annual "K12 5K" (trying saying that 5 times fast) at Millcreek Park in Taylorsville. Despite the shower sprinkles here and there it was a great morning. Teachers and students all met under a pavilion and shared in some delicious snacks and refreshments

Here's Ducati with bedhead and breakfast. She's ready for this 5K.
Actually we only joined this 5K so that Mike can practice his running. He's entered a 5K race that's being held in a few weeks so he wanted to knew what his time was like after all his training. So when the race started he was in the front of the race line with a bunch of teenage boys. The kids and I were in the very back with all the other stroller moms.

When the race spotter yelled, "Start",  Mike booked it! The kids and I were still in the back when we seen Mike crossing a bridge and from there he was out of sight. So the kids and just walked....

But then my kids seen this.....


and I lost them. Who puts a playground in the middle of a trail? Smart people! So I made a deal with them that we'll walk until we seen Dad running back to us since we weren't that far from the start/finish line ( we were at the 1/10th mile marker) That when we seen Dad we'll go back to the starting line and play at the park closer to the K12 pavilion. Everyone agreed and not a second later we seen this....

Mike had ran all the way back already. He ran this 5k in 19 minutes 28 seconds. Not his personal best but still WAY awesome! So when the kids seen Mike we all turned around from the 1/10th mile marker and ran back to the starting line. Yes-we cheated but it's not really cheating if we weren't competing so I'm OK with that. But it took the kids and I  38 minutes 49 seconds to walk 2/10 of a mile. WOW!! That's fast...hahaha!
 Actually Mike won the race and beat a bunch of kids, grabbed a water, changed his shirt, sat for a minute to catch his breathe then walked back to us. Our girls were running to him so we can finish as a family.

But of course right when we got back to the pavilion our kids went straight to the playground set.
They only played for a few minutes. There was a raffle, free school shirts for all the kids and since there was so much food left over the parents were open to take whatever they wanted. So while others went for bagels my kids and I went for the candy basket. Sweet!
It was such a great and wet morning. But I'm very glad that we had this pre-race practice drill. Mike thought of some things that could help improve his time and I thought of some things that could  help my kids be entertained on race day so I can watch my Mike win the race!

2 comments:

sue said...

Yeah for the Lassigs!

Max and Diana Brown said...

I love you new hair cut Angie!!!!