Saturday, May 7, 2011

I am the Cure

"Susan fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. That concern for others continued even as Susan neared the end of her fight. Moved by her sisters' compassion for others and committed to making a difference, Nancy, promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever."
(Race for the Cure, About us story,)http://ww5.komen.org

From this sisters promise came the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. And today Mike, Lily, Ducati, and I were able to participated thanks to Mike's job sponsoring a team.  

 We wore our Nicco shirts while our girls wore the pink Cure shirts.I think we all look pretty good. Mike had about 1 hour of sleep. I had about 4 hours. And the girls were still alittle tired but good ol'mom planned ahead and put them to bed early the night before since we needed to wake up at 5:30.

Our girls look so cute!

Ha- a couple of parents trying to entertain their toddlers before the race begins. Seemed harder than I thought.


Mike's so sweet. He reminded me that when Hailey was around a year old we did this breast cancer race together. And now, after today, I have done the Race for the Cure with all my daughters. He's such a sucker for making traditions. But I love it!


 But for me: I need to write this down so years later I will remember what I felt. I want to remember that I cried the entire time we were there. The entire Gateway was filled with music. My favorite tear jerker was Melisa Etheridge "I run for life". Also everywhere I looked I would see signs or shirts that would read "Team Carol 1964-2000" or "I'm walkng for my 16 year old sister", or "I'm a thriver not a survivor". And seeing not only all those beautiful and strong women there but all amazing men there too. My spirit was filled with so much joy when I seen a husband hugging his wife who was wearing a survivor shirt. I can't help but cry again thinking about it.  My heart was filled with such love and appreciation for my own husband who was walking right by my side. And the comfort that I felt knowing if something where to happen to me he would still be right by my side. But without a doubt my joker Mike made the comment that next time we do this race we need to make our own shirts that say "Save his 2nd base" ....haha...I love my husband and his comic relief!



Plus our girls enjoyed themselves. Beautiful weather, oranges at the finish line, and a great nap back at the van. It was a great way to kick off my Mother's Day weekend.

No comments: