Monday, January 30, 2012

Grace

Tonight for FHE we talked about Grace.

This topic has been on my heart for the past few days. After Mike and I had our date night which we watched the movie, Grace Card, and read in our scriptures about Grace I started feeling an indescribable emotion in my heart.

But it wasn't until Sunday during ward conference that my mind really started to take it all in.

Our bishop spoke on Grace and the meaning of what it meant to him. He told of a story of when he started running again; him and his friend trained for a marathon together. And even though his friend was faster, better trained, and more experienced his friend was right by his side encouraging him to continue on. He never left his side. And they finished the race together.

His story really helped build me up on what lesson I needed to learn. But the topper to my cake was when I looked up at our family rules. We have a board in our family room just like this one that I seen on Pinterest
Pinned Image


And Rule #3 " Show the same Grace to others that God showed you"

I thought I understood this one. To be show love and kindness to those around me. But after these past few days I realize that I had NO CLUE what it meant.

In the movie Grace Card a man talks about how his great great grandfather was a slave. And when he was child the slave owner lined up all his slaves and freed them even before the war ended. And before anyone left he asked each one for forgiveness. Forgiveness for all the wrongs that he had committed towards them but he also asked them to forgive those who had trespassed against them and won't ask for forgiveness.
The great great grandfather, Wendell P. Wright, wrote a note to himself that said

" I promise to pray for you every day, ask your forgiveness, grant you the same, and be your friend always"

In scriptures it reads that, " But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain....." 1 Corinthians 15:10

So I talked with the kids that when either we or some we know makes mistakes, acts in a way that God would disapprove of, or turns their backs away from God......right when that person says "Please Lord help me" God is there right by your side.

I gave the example from the Bishop as well as the experience that Mason and Lily had earlier. The kids had to clean up their rooms and Lily was throwing some things around and ended up hitting Mason in the head. He came out and as he told me what had happened. I empathized with him that I understood that it frustrated him but then I heard the words come out of my mouth before I even realized what I was saying to "Show Lily God's Grace" He looked at me in a confused way so I took a second to explain that she had asked for help before anything hit him. He agreed, so I continued on saying that since even though she might not deserve his help he should still be there for her since she asked.

The kids just sat quietly so I took that moment to share my testimony that I had no idea what Grace meant. And some might not agree on how I view it or what it actually means. But through inspiration I know it's not wrong for my personal growth. I shared that in the Bible Dictionary it reads "Grace: .......divine means of help or strength given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ".

So with God's help I can show his love and mercy to not only those that are around me but also those that aren't around me. Those who have done wrong towards me, who have hurt my feelings, or really don't know me very well that I can live my life with the power of forgiveness. That I can tell that person that

" I promise to pray for you every day, ask your forgiveness, grant you the same, and be your friend always"


I know this might of been a tad too deep for them but I needed to share this with everyone. I need to get this off my chest and out into the universe.

I asked Mike if he wanted to add anything to it; he thought for a moment and said No. So I guess the spirit was present and all was said that was needed.

I know that there is alot I need to learn. I am only scratching the surface on where to begin. But my first order of business is to forgive, love, and show grace towards others.

No comments: