Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Update

Dear Journal,

I know I haven't written in a while. But I'm here now so let's reconnect and catch up.

First our kids. They are great! Sort of... Hailey finished her color days at school. That was great since I had sewed her a gray dress for one of the last days.


But now it's time to get serious with her studies. She's in the process of learning to read. I've tried almost every technique out there in reading world to teach her to read. But she's only learned a few things before she's given up. So now that it's a must she's putting more effort into it so she's learning alot more.

Mason-  homeschooling is good. It seems to me that this year's work is so easy and simple that he's projected to be done with school by January. So we're going slower than usual. But that's OK...that means more field trips.

Lily is great. She's made a friend with the neighbor so she's been outside with him alot more this week.

Ducati- she is going great!!! To start  Mike and I always thought she was allergic to grass. But even with socks and shoes on her legs and feet would get rashes so severe that her legs would bleed. She would cry alot and sometimes she wouldn't poop for a week. Doctors thought she had a really bad case of eczema and was a picky eater (she hated grains, only wanted soymilk, and craved fruits and meats) So we were told to put lotion on her and try to introduce food back into her diet. After talking with a few friends about their experience with celiac disease. Things started to click! So we started her on a gluten free diet just to see what would happen. HOLY COW!- Within 1 week her rashes almost cleared up. Her digestive system is working properly again and her attitude has changed so much. She's our sweet Cati again.  But to get her officially diagnosed with Celiac we would have to put her back onto gluten foods so she can get the test done. And after talking Mike and I decided that we can't do that...at least not right now. We don't want her to go through that again just to be told something that we already now.

But making our home a gluten free environment has been difficult. We've always knew she's been allergic to most shampoos and soaps even if they say hypoallergenic. But now we've become such label readers that we've noticed that gluten is in most things. So she has to take a bath in our tub for no more than 2 minutes or the soap ring will start a reaction on her skin. And we've had to make alot of homemade things in our home to ensure there's no gluten in them. For example on Sundays I make spaghetti for lunch. So I made her gluten free pasta and made everyone else their whole wheat pasta in a separate pot. I read the label of the spaghetti sauce and it only said that it may contain milk. So I added a few tablespoons of sauce on her pasta. And when she dropped some on her shirt within a few seconds her chest turned all red. After taking care of her  I googled the ingredients and found that this sauce had a small amount of  flour grain. So she's can't use that one anymore. But I have been thankful to find gluten free foods at the grocery stores. But even with a coupon 1 box of pasta is around $2. Good thing it's just her so it's only a small amount that is used.

Mike and I- well things have been rough. I know that Satan has had his hand in our home for the past week. We've fought like crazy this past week. So after some serious praying and working out the kinks we are doing better. It's crazy to omit that Satan can have such a powerful hand in my home even though I know it's him that's influencing our contention. But it's so hard to turn away from him and his creative ways on making the contention last longer. We had our printer, laptop, motorcycle and dryer all break within 4 days. But thankfully 2 out of 4 are working again all thanks to Heavenly Father helping us thru that rough patch. This class that Mike and I attend has put such a toll in our relationship that Mike prayed for me and the answer can to him that I needed to quit the class. That he will keep attending since it's for his behaviors but that my role is to be a mother. And that for 8 weeks I have put the responsibility on the back burner. 

But like I said we are so much better. We've reconnected. We're laughing and enjoying time together. Yesterday was the 1st class I missed to I was still anxious for him going by myself but as time goes on I know I will feel more comfortable.

So that's it journal. I promise to write more to you so I can remember all these amazing moments.
Your friend

No comments: