Friday, September 30, 2011

Courageous

Mike and I really enjoy the Baptist production company, Sherwood Church Productions. They came out with movies such as Facing the Giants, Fireproof, Flywheel and now there newest movie called Courageous hit theaters this past Friday.

 We were so excited to see this movie that Mike took the day off work, we found a sitter, purchased the tickets and made it all happen even though there are only 4 theaters in our state that are showing this movie. But is was well worth the 45 minute drive to see it.

Mike and I really loved this movie. The movie is based around the roles and responsibilities of a father. It talked about those children that grow up fatherless have a higher risk of doing drugs, joining a gang, and a 20% higher risk than other children to go to jail. The movie also showed how a father can step up and be a real dad. All the men in this movie were fathers. They said "Hello" to their kids, paid child support, ate dinner with their kids but nothing beyond that. However when one of the men loses a child due to a drunk driver he prays to God on what to do now. And he receives this as his answer:


The Resolution


I DO solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.



 

All the men sign his Resolution before their families and before God to be a better father and husband. But that seems to easy. When temptation comes and forces them to chose the story gets really hard. Choose the Right or turn in a friend. Choose the Right or lose a job. Choose the Right or go to jail. 

But the best part of the movie is how each of these men stepped up and became a better father to their children. No more just watching them from the sidelines cheering them on. They ran, danced, bonded with them to show their children that they are involved in their lives. 

Mike was so touched by this movie (and I thought that he would be) I gave him a Resolution for himself. If he chose to he could sign it. And...

 he did! (he even wore his suit when he signed it just like the men in the movie)

I'm not surprised because Mike really does know the value of being a father so he continually strives to be better. He doesn't want to just settle to be a good enough father. He wants to a good father.

This movie is absolutely amazing. We plan on seeing it again very soon. But I have to say that I adore my husband and I am so proud of him.

No comments: