Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Become as a Liltte Child

With Conference coming up I am trying to listen to all the talks again so my spiritual cup will be full and ready to listen to the messages that will be given to the world.

After listening to the talk "Become as a Little Child", (Jean A. Stevens, 1st Counselor in the Primary General Presidency) I was completely moved.
I felt my heart literally fill with joy when I heard her speak about King Benjamin’s words to become as a child—submissive, meek, humble, patient, and full of love.

Mike and I have both learned 2 things while attending our classes. 1st how to use the atonement to bring us closer. And 2nd to never change our children. Sister Stevens states "that children are full of faith and are receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to forgive."

Mike and I have had so many talks regarding this exact topic. That our children are the ones that teach us how to live. But prior to this class we thought we were teaching them. We know we have a duty to teach them about the gospel, their ABC's, math, etc. But we were also mistakenly teaching them the negatives of the world and thus teaching them to not love another.

Sister Stevens also said "children are providing examples of some of the childlike qualities we need to develop or rediscover in ourselves in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven. They are bright spirits who are untarnished by the world—teachable and full of faith."..........hearing this part made me realize that I need to become as a little child.

 But the cherry on my spiritual sundae was when she quoted Elder M. Russell Ballard. "He has taught us the importance of the Savior’s admonition to “behold your little ones” when he said: “Notice that He didn’t say ‘glance at them’ or ‘casually observe them’ or ‘occasionally take a look in their general direction.’ He said to behold them. To me that means that we should embrace them with our eyes and with our hearts; we should see and appreciate them for who they really are: spirit children of our Heavenly Father, with divine attributes” (“Behold Your Little Ones,” Tambuli, Oct. 1994, 40; emphasis added; “Great Shall Be the Peace of Thy Children,” Ensign, Apr. 1994, 59).

I know that Mike and I are pretty good parents. But we don't want to be "Just-pretty-good" parents. So after tonight I am going to start making it a point to "behold my little ones" while I still have the chance to still behold them. And I already know that I will walk away from this knowing more about Lego Dragons, more Elmo songs, learning how to paint my nails with my eyes closed but I will also learn about my kids. And they will learn that I love them. So that doesn't sound like bad idea to me.

No comments: